This time, I am not going to share a tutorial with you. Instead, I will like to share a resource with you, which may help you have a kick-ass beginning on the way of your web application development. So, today, there will be no code examples to share . I am happy to announce the release of ‘CodeIgniterPlus’, a Codeigniter bundle project, integrated with several popular open source libraries and bound with organized structure and best practices, for building web application from medium to large-scale. This project is very easy to adapt as it’s in raw format, instead of having heavy custom rules. Rather then, it add few rules that will help you keep your application source code in an organized way and in several cases, reduce amount of code, you need to write. It’s not intended for Codeigniter beginners. If you are a beginner, you should first get familiar with Codeigniter then come back here. You can start with my article on Codeigntier tutorial for beginners .
The CodeIgniterPlus Project:
This open source project is hosted on Github on the following url:
Haven’t use git yet? Why don’t get started with the world’s most growing distributed version controlling system? To do so, you can start with my another tutorial on getting started with git. However, as an alternative, without doing git clone or so, you can download the latest version as well:
Explore CodeIgniterPlus Demo
Getting Started With CodeIgniterPlus:
I tried to document the basic points about this project on the documentation file(readme.md). Please read this carefully on the project page.
This includes the listing of other open source libraries which are integrated on this project(you better get familiar with them first 😉 ). Also, list the core features you will enjoy on this project. You will also receive instructions on how to install this on your local system and get this up and running. You should be able to see a home screen like as follows:
Features Of CodeIgniterPlus:
Besides the listing of features on project documentation, I will like to explain few interesting parts of the project that may interests you:
- Composer Support(New): You can add any third-party libraries, supported via composer packagelist, the most powerful php package manager ever, into your codeigniter application.
- Bower Support(New): You can install front end dependencies using bower package manager now, the most powerful front-end package manager.
- Integrated Authentication: authentication is one of the most common features on a web application now a days. So, I added the ‘dx_auth’ plugin for Codeigniter in this project, and enhanced its coded functionality at database layer(with doctrine) and view layer(with smarty). It includes registration, login, forget/reset password features ready-made. So, you won’t have to worry a bit to implement these functionality at all.
- Separate Base Controllers Based On Role: There are three different base controller on this project, to isolate the basic functionality of front end, registered user and administrators. So, if you are having your heads up concerning registered users, you just have to dig on that base controller(User_Controller), not the others.
- Best practices: This project also focuses on maintaining the Codeigniter best practices , I mentioned before. So, hopefully, as you use this, you will understand in more depth, how its making your day 😉 .
- No need to specify script/style/view for a page: As this maintains an organized directory structures, there is a ready generalization, which will include your views/script file and style/css file automatically for a specific controller function.
- Feel The Power of ORM: If you are not familiar with doctrine ORM, you should start by using doctrine with Codeigniter tutorial. As there are some functionality implemented here, you will feel how easy/efficient this is.
- Integrated CRUD Functionality for models: My another doctrine model class for codeigniter, which is being integrated here to give you ready-made crud functionality for new models.
Your Feedback And Contribution:
I am looking forward to hear back from my beloved visitors about this codeigniter bundle project. You can send your valuable suggestions/comments/feedback on the project here by commenting which will be very much helpful to me for improving it day by day. Also, as a developer you can also contribute by post an issue on Github, add some features and send me pull request, suggest me or do optimization on existing features etc. Also, if you are not clear about any specific part or feature, you are welcome to ask your question here. Happy Coding 🙂